All students applying for admission are required to take the NC-DAP placement test. Students are asked to meet 15 minutes prior to testing in the Strickland commons area. Students are tested in Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. The test is designed to assist counselors in placing students into appropriate classes based upon skill level.
James Sprunt now offers online registration for incoming students to sign up for testing. When you register for the placement test, you can select the date and time that works best with your schedule. You will need your Admissions letter information to be able to register.
Register for the Placement Test
If you have any questions, please contact:
Amber Ferrell at 910-296-2506, /placement-testing
Mary Elizabeth McIntosh at 910-296-6003, firstname.lastname@example.org
Students Exempt From Testing
- Students who have previously taken the ASSET, COMPASS, or ACCUPLACER test within five years may request that the official score report be sent to the JSCC admissions office. Test scores over five years old are not accepted.
- Special students (those not working toward a diploma or degree) may take up to 12 credit hours in areas other than math and English before being tested.
- Students who have obtained an Associate degree or higher are exempt from testing.
- Testing is not required with SAT Reading, Math, and Writing scores of 500, or ACT Scores of English 18, Reading 21, Math 22.
- Students will not be tested more than twice in a 12-month period, and 6 months must elapse between the two test dates.
- Diagnotstic and placement test sample questions: Accuplacer
- Guide with sample essays: WritePlacer
- Study app for the NC DAP placement test: Study App
To request placement test scores, download the Placement Test Scores Request Form (pdf) , complete and mail to:
PO Box 398
Kenansville, NC 28349
p: (910) 296-2506
f: (910) 296-1222