- 2007 - Duplin Early College High School opened as James Kenan School of Engineering in 2007 through the NC New Schools Project as a STEM school.
- 2009 - JKSE became DECHS in July of 2009.
- 2011 - DECHS received "Honor School of Excellence" designation
- The mission of DECHS is to produce college-ready students prepared for a globally competitive 21st century.
- The vision of DECHS is to create a nurturing environment where excellence is the norm.
- The motto of DECHS is "Excellence is the norm."
- Computer Information Technology
- Health Sciences (focusing on medical assisting)
- Teacher Academies
Provides three pathways to help advance eligible students' post-high school success:
- College Transfer
- Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- Cooperative Innovative High Schools